Welcome to My Mentoring! On these pages you can find a mentor, list yourself as a mentor, register or complete your partnership and review the details of your mentoring partnership.
Do you have questions about your mentoring partnership? Please have a read of the below key points and FAQs as you may find your answer! If, after reading, you are still unsure about your situation or have any questions then please feel free to get in touch.
- To register your mentoring partnership, your mentor must have a ‘find a mentor’ profile. Follow the steps outlined in the FAQs below.
- If you are a provisional APD, your mentor meetings must be logged in your ‘My CPD’ logs using the ‘mentee/mentor activity-provisional’ module.
- You must complete a minimum of 12, one hour meetings, in 12 separate months, before you can transition to a Full APD
- Meetings can be in person or via internet based technology where you can see each other (e.g. Skype/Facetime)
- If you registered your partnership using the manual forms, you may still need to complete the ‘End of Mentoring Report‘ and return this to our APD Administrator. See FAQ 4 below for more information.
- As a mentor, once your Mentoring profile is created you can make this visible or not visible at any time. See FAQs below for further information.
- For specific information about the requirements of your mentoring partnership, and the Provisional APD program, please refer to the APD Program Handbook.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Use the ‘find a mentor’ search function to locate a suitable mentor.
- It is encouraged that prior to sending a mentoring request, you contact any potential mentor first using their listed email address or phone number. This will give you an opportunity to introduce yourself and ensure your mentor is right for you and able to commit to your partnership.
- Once you have found a suitable mentor, follow the steps under ‘how do I register my mentoring partnership?’ below.
- Search for your mentor using the ‘find a mentor’ search function. Your mentor will need to have listed themselves on here first.
- Once you have found your mentor’s profile, click the button ‘send mentoring request’ and complete the relevant details.
- You will only be able to set your mentoring start date within 1 month of sending the mentor request.
- It is encouraged that prior to sending a mentoring request, you contact any potential mentors first using their listed email address or phone number. This will give you an opportunity to introduce yourself and ensure your mentor is right for you and able to commit to the partnership.
- Your mentor will receive an email requesting them to confirm the partnership. They can follow the prompts to do so, or log into the website and go to ‘My Mentoring’ then ‘My Mentoring Overview’ to accept.
- Once your partnership is registered, you should be able to view the details in ‘my mentoring overview’.
When you request a mentoring partnership, the below screen will appear and you will need to provide the following information:
The great news is that you will be able to view the details of your partnership (start date, mentor/mentee name) on the ‘my mentoring overview’ page. However, due to the communication between the database (where your partnership was manually processed) and the website, some components of your partnership may still need to be completed manually. Please continue to log your mentor meetings in your online ‘My CPD’ logs as per the information above.
You may be able to complete your partnership online, however if your previous meetings have not logged under the ‘mentee/mentor activity-provisional’ module then completing your partnership will still need to be processed manually by us. To do this, please complete the ‘End of Mentoring Report‘ and return this to our APD Administrator. We are here to support and help you through this process, so if you have any questions please contact us!
There are a few reasons why your meetings may not be listed as being a valid meeting. When organising and logging your mentoring meetings, ensure that:
- Meetings are held within separate months.
- For example, if you have 2 meetings in January, only one of these will contribute to the requirements.
- You have selected the correct module in your ‘My CPD’ logs (mentee/mentor activity-provisional).
- Your meetings occur after the date you joined the APD program. Any meetings held whilst you were not an APD cannot contribute to the requirements.
- Meetings are held after your listed ‘start date’ of the partnership. Any meetings held prior to your partnership commencing cannot contribute to the requirements.
- Meetings go for at least one hour.
- Your mentor has accepted the partnership. If not, you may need to send them a reminder to do so.
If you have checked all of these things and are still not sure, please contact us.
It is up to you to find your mentor. It is important that you choose someone who not only has an appropriate level of experience in dietetics, but also has the appropriate interpersonal skills to support learning and development. A good place to start is by searching ‘Find a Mentor’, which has details of those APDs willing to be contacted. However, you are welcome to approach APDs outside of this – the one requirement is that they are a Full APD. Your mentor will need to add themselves to the ‘find a mentor’ list in order to register the partnership.
- From this page, click on the link ‘find a mentor’.
- You can search by as little or as many fields as you wish.
- If you are searching for someone in particular, it is best to search by name.
- Once you have found some suitable mentors, follow the steps under ‘how do I request a mentor partnership’ above.
- You should receive an email outlining the details of a mentoring request. Follow the link in this email and the subsequent prompts until the partnership is confirmed.
- Alternatively, go to the page ‘My mentoring overview’. Any mentoring requests will appear here under the heading ‘requests’ and you can follow the prompts to decline or approve this request.
You can check if your partnership is registered by going to ‘My Mentoring Overview’. Here, you can view your mentors, your mentees or any requests you have received to be a mentor.
Please note, it is up to the provisional APD to ensure the mentoring partnership is registered and has been confirmed by the mentor. If the mentor declines or does not confirm the partnership, it will not be valid and the provisional APD will need to find a new mentor.
This button should only be used when you are changing mentors, it does not complete your mentoring partnership. See the FAQ ‘How do I finalise my mentoring partnership, and transition to a Full APD?’ below for instructions regarding this.
For various reasons, you may need to change mentors during your provisional APD program. You can enter into another mentor partnership for the balance of the 52 weeks. You will need to ‘cancel’ your mentoring partnership with your initial mentor, which your mentor will need to approve, and then complete a new registration for your new mentor. Please ensure you discuss this with your initial mentor prior to cancelling the partnership, so both parties are aware and in agreement for the need to end the relationship. Your initial mentor will need to approve the partnership cancellation before you can register your new partnership.
The mentoring partnership is for your benefit, so if your expectations are not being met, it is your responsibility to follow this up with your mentor. If it is not possible to improve things so that you feel the partnership is useful and supportive for you, you may choose to end the relationship and complete the remainder of your mentoring with a new mentor. Although there are no formal mechanisms in place to resolve unsatisfactory agreements, you can contact us if you need general advice.
- Under ‘My mentoring overview’, you can view the details of your current mentoring partnership. Once on this page, click ‘cancel partnership’.
- Both parties will need to agree to the cancellation, and an email will be sent to the other party once the ‘cancel partnership’ button has been clicked and they can follow the prompts.
- Once the partnership has been cancelled, the mentee can register a new mentor by following the steps as outlined under ‘how do I register a mentor partnership’ above. You will only need to complete the remaining number of meetings with your new mentor.
- Ensure you have completed (and logged in your ‘My CPD’ logs) a minimum of 12, one hour meetings, which are in 12 separate months.
- You can keep track of the progress of your meetings on the ‘my mentoring overview’ page–this will list the number of valid meetings you have had.
- Once you have met the requirements, go into ‘my mentoring overview’ and click the ‘complete’ button–you should be able to follow the prompts.
- If you commenced your partnership prior to the online ‘my mentoring’ system we may need to complete your partnership manually for you. If you are unable to complete this online, please fill in the ‘End of Mentoring Report‘ and return this to the APD administrator for processing.
- Follow the link to ‘My Mentor Profile’, either from ‘My Mentoring’ or from your dashboard.
- Add the relevant information to each field. Mandatory options are marked with *
- You will need to ensure you have selected to be visible on the website so that a mentee can send you a mentoring request.
- If you no longer wish to appear in the ‘find a mentor’ search, you can go back into ‘my mentor profile’ and select ‘no’ to be visible on the website.
- You can update your profile at any time.
You can remove yourself from the ‘find a mentor’ list at any time. This will not delete your profile, rather you will not appear in any searches and any new mentees will not be able to send you a partnership request. Your profile will remain and is able to be edited when you are ready to add yourself back to the ‘find a mentor’ list.
- Follow the link to ‘My Mentor Profile’ from the menu on the left side of the screen, or from the dashboard.
- Select ‘No’ to be visible on the website.
- If you wish to add yourself back to the search in the future, you can simply go into your profile and tick ‘yes’ to being visible on the website.
- You can re-add yourself and remove yourself, or edit your details, at any time.
If you are a provisional APD, your mentor meetings must be logged in your online ‘My CPD’ logs alongside your other CPD activities. This will ensure your meetings will contribute to your mentoring requirements for the purpose of the provisional program, and these will also contribute to your annual CPD requirements. Select the module ‘Mentoring/supervision activity’. You will be able to see the meetings logged under this module in ‘My Mentoring Overview’.
As a full APD, it is up to you if you wish to log your mentor meetings or not. You are welcome to log these in ‘My CPD’ if they relate to one of your learning goals.
No. We only require a record of partnerships that are being undertaken to fulfill the requirements of the provisional APD program. You may wish to undertake a mentoring partnership for a range of other reasons, such as preparing your AdvAPD application or changing career paths.
However you are still welcome to register your partnership for your own records, and your mentor meetings may be logged as CPD if they are related to one of your learning goals.
Please get in touch by contacting the APD Administrator if you have any feedback or comments about the ‘My Mentoring’ portal, if you have any questions that are not answered in the FAQs above, or if you require assistance.
Information about the requirements of the Provisional APD program can be found here.