Beetroot, farro and honeyed walnut super salad
Recipe courtesy of Allison Grech, APD
- 1 ½ cups farro
- 2 large beetroots
- 2 large carrots
- 1 cup red cabbage (1/6 small cabbage)
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cup mint, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ cup ricotta cheese, reduced fat
- 1 tbsp honey
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp cold water
Nutrition Information (per serve)
|Energy||1194 kJ (285 calories)|
- Place the farro in a large saucepan and cover with 4 cups of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 35 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed and the grains are tender. Drain well and set aside in a refrigerator. (You can do this step the day before to cut preparation time in half!)
- Add sesame seeds to a small fry pan and toss on low-medium heat until golden brown. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Use the same fry pan to toast walnuts lightly for about two minutes on low-medium heat. Add 1 tbsp honey and toss to coat until the honey begins to bubble and the nuts become dark and caramelised. Remove from the heat and arrange the walnuts flat on a plate to cool.
- Peel and grate beetroots and carrot and set aside in separate bowls. Keeping them separate until the salad is ready to serve helps preserve the bright orange of the carrots – otherwise they will be stained pink!
- Finely chop red cabbage. Roughly chop parsley and mint. Add cabbage and herbs to bow containing grated carrot.
- In a small jar, add the juice of 1 lemon, 1 tbsp of honey and the extra virgin olive oil. Shake to combine and add 1 tbsp of cold water to thin. Shake the dressing once more before serving.
- Break apart the honeyed walnuts. Toss the farro, carrot, cabbage, herbs and walnuts to combine. Gently fold through beetroot.
- Top with crumbled ricotta cheese and toasted sesame seeds.
- Dress with shaken lemon-honey dressing just before serving.
This recipe featured in the APD Cookbook, created in collaboration with DAA.
Download the full APD Cookbook by visiting the Australia’s Healthy Weight Week website.
Want more tips to feel fabulous? Sign up to our Smart Eating newsletter today!