Broccoli and red lentil soup with sesame roasted kale chips
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
No of Serves: 6
Recipe courtesy of Caroline Trickey, APD
- ½ small bunch of kale
- 1 tablespoon roasted* sesame oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 750 grams broccoli, roughly chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 litres (8 cups) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Nutrition Information (per serve)
|Energy||1084 kJ (259 calories)|
- Heat oven to 170 degrees and line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Start by stripping the leaves off the kale stalk, wash well then dry well.
- Spread kale leaves over prepared tray and drizzle with sesame oil and season with a little salt.
- Place in oven to ‘roast’ for around 15-20 minutes. You may need to turn them over half way through to make sure they cook evenly. Note – do not allow the leaves go too brown or they will taste burnt.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. When hot, add the olive oil and onion and saute for 10 minutes, until the onion is soft and starting to brown. Add a little water if the onion starts to stick.
- Meanwhile, cut the florets off the broccoli stalks and chop the stalks roughly.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the broccoli stalks and red lentils and stir well.
- Add the vegetable or chicken stock and bring to the boil over medium-high heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Carefully puree the soup in a blender or food processor.
- Return soup to the pot, taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary.
- Serve sprinkled with Kale Chips and toasted sesame seeds.
* if you don’t have roasted sesame oil, just use the regular one