Delicious nutritious crunchy fish salad
Recipe courtesy of Mellissa Hay, APD
- 350g firm fish fillets, cut into strips 1-2 cms wide (try ling, snapper, trout or salmon)
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- ¾ cup green cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup julienne carrot (i.e. finely chopped like thin matchsticks)
- 2 tablespoon diced red onion
- 1 leaf fresh kale, finely chopped (makes ¾-1 cup)
- 1/3 cup coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 large ear of corn
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lupin flour (you can use any kind of flour)
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Lime wedges to serve
- 4 small wholemeal tortillas
- Optional extra: fresh red chilli or jalapenos if you like it extra spicy
- 4 tablespoons plain greek yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons chipotle sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
Nutrition Information (per serve)
|Energy||4428 kJ (1058 calories)|
- Combine red cabbage, green cabbage, carrot, kale, red onion, coriander and 1 tablespoon lime juice in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add greek yoghurt, chipotle sauce and 1 teaspoon of fresh lime juice and mix until evenly combined. Set aside until serving.
- Remove the kernels from the ear of corn (this should provide approximately 1 cup of fresh kernels).
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a fry pan over medium-high heat. Add the corn, season to taste, toss once or twice then allow the kernels to sit flat on the frypan without stirring until the underside is charring (approximately 2 mins). Stir and then repeat again for another 2 minutes. Continue until corn is well browned (approximately 8-10 minutes). Remove from heat and add to your dry slaw.
- Combine 2 teaspoons olive oil and 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice in a bowl ready for your tortillas and set aside.
- Season flour to taste and lightly coat your fish fillets.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a non-stick frypan over medium heat. Add fish and cook each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden and cooked through. If needed, brush a little more oil on the fish before flipping. Set aside to rest while you cook your tortillas.
- Brush the first side of your tortillas with oil and lime juice and place down in the frypan over medium heat. Brush the other side of the tortilla with oil and lime juice. Cook for 1-2 minutes each side or until your liking. Set aside for 1 minute – cut into quarters.
- Serve fish with salad, tortilla “chips”, a fresh lime wedge and chilli if you prefer!
- Drizzle with the chipotle yoghurt dressing and enjoy.
This recipe featured in the APD Cookbook, created in collaboration with DAA.
Download the full APD Cookbook by visiting the Australia’s Healthy Weight Week website.
Want more tips to feel fabulous? Sign up to our Smart Eating newsletter today!