Fast fabulous bean chilli with lime and avocado
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
No of Serves: 8
Recipe courtesy of Caroline Trickey Accredited Practising Dietitian
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 teaspoons Mexican spice mix* (or 1 teaspoon each ground cumin, oregano and chilli powder)
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 200 grams (4-5 approx) Portabello mushrooms
- 453g jar mild chunky salsa (I used Misson brand)
- 400 gram tin corn, drained, or 1½ cups frozen corn
- 400 gram tin crushed tomatoes
- 400 gram tin black beans, drained
- 400 gram tin kidney beans, cannellini beans or chickpeas, drained
- 400 gram tin lentils (or ½ cup red lentils, rinsed – but add 1 extra cup of stock and allow an extra 10 minutes cooking time)
- 2 – 3 vegetable stock cubes or concentrated stock
- handful baby spinach leaves
To serve: (not included in nutritional information)
- fresh coriander
- ripe avocado
- 2 limes
- corn chips
Nutrition Information (per serve)
|Energy||1216 kJ (291 calories)|
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. When hot add oil and onion and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and spices and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, zucchini and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add salsa, corn, tomatoes, both tins of beans, lentils and stock.
- Place lid on pot and bring to the boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer for 5-8 minutes, until veggies (and lentils) are cooked.
- Turn heat off and stir baby spinach leaves through.
- Serve with coriander, avocado, lime and corn chips – or any other way you prefer!