Harissa Roasted Eggplant with lentil and Herb Yoghourt
Recipe courtesy of Jalna
2 teaspoons harissa paste
¼ cup (60mls) + 1 tablespoon olive oil
small brown onion, peeled, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed
1 cup (200g) green lentils, rinsed
1 cups (750mls) vegetable stock or water
1 tablespoon chia seeds
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Salt and cracked black pepper
600g medium size eggplant, halved or cut into 1cm slices
Pomegranate seeds, to garnish
Micro herbs, to serve (optional)
1 cup (250g) Jalna Greek Yoghourt
¼ cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt & cracked black pepper, to taste
Nutrition Information (per serve)
|Energy||2078 kJ (497 calories)|
- Combine harissa paste with ¼ cup oil to allow flavours to develop. Heat a medium saucepan over moderately high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until just softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes, or until lentils are just cooked.
- Stir in chia seeds and lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and leave covered for 10 minutes or until chia has softened and absorbed any excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, brush eggplant on both sides with harissa oil. Chargrill eggplant for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden and tender.
- Make the Herb Yoghourt by combining all ingredients
- Serve lentils topped with eggplant and dollops of herb yoghourt, pomegranate seeds and extra mint leaves.
Tips – Eggplant could also be baked in a moderately hot oven (200o/180oC fan forced). Use Lebanese eggplants, cut in half lengthways.
Eggplant is the voluptuous purple beauty whose skin is rich in anthocyanins, the powerful phytochemicals that help protect the brain and heart from free radical damage. Good source of dietary fibre.