Mediterranean style eggplant bruschetta with goats cheese
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
No of Serves: 2
Recipe courtesy of Ash Dunford, Accredited Practising Dietitian
- 1-2tbsp Olive oil
- 2 slices of fresh sourdough bread – each sliced 2.5cm thick
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3/4 cup of button mushrooms chopped into rustic cubes
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped into rustic cubes
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted, cut in half
- 1/2 red capsicum, chopped into rustic cubes
- 1/2 cup of rocket
- 2 tbsp of soft goats cheese
- 2-4 tsp of balsamic glaze to serve (optional)
Nutrition Information (per serve)
|Energy||1934 kJ (462 calories)|
- Brush or drizzle a small amount of the olive oil on one side of each slice of bread.
- Remove the skin from the clove of garlic and cut it in half.
- Wipe the cut side of the garlic clove all over the oiled side of the slices of bread, and then thinly slice the two halves of the garlic clove.
- Heat a large frying pan to a high temperature, add the mushroom garlic and eggplant as well as 1 tbsp of the olive oil.
- The mushrooms and eggplant will soak up much of the oil, so you will likely need to add more.
- Fry the mushrooms and eggplant until they gain some colour then add the grape tomatoes, olives and capsicum.
- Allow the vegetables to fry for a few minutes and turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan to a medium temperature and grill the oiled side of the bread until lightly charred.
- Arrange the grilled sourdough on the plate and top with vegetable mix, rocket and crumbled goats cheese then drizzle with balsamic glaze.
This recipe featured in the 2017 Australia’s Health Weight Week, APD Cookbook, created in collaboration with DAA and Nutrition Australia, ACT.