Mediterranean style eggplant bruschetta with goats cheese
Recipe courtesy of Ash Dunford, student dietitian
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped into rustic cubes
- 1/2 red capsicum, chopped into rustic cubes
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted, cut in half
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 3/4 cup of button mushrooms – rustic cubes
- 1 clove of garlic
- Uncut fresh sourdough bread – cut two 2.5cm thick slices
- 1-2tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp of soft goats cheese
- 1/2 cup of rocket
- 2-4 tsp of balsamic glaze to serve (optional)
Nutrition Information (per serve)
|Energy||2242 kJ (536 calories)|
- Brush or drizzle a small amount of the olive oil on one side of each slice of bread.
- Remove the skin from the clove of garlic and cut it in half.
- Wipe the cut side of the garlic clove all over the oiled side of the slices of bread, and then thinly slice the two halves of the garlic clove.
- Heat a large frying pan to a high temperature, add the mushroom garlic and eggplant as well as 1 tbsp of the olive oil.
- The mushrooms and eggplant will soak up much of the oil, so you will likely need to add more.
- Fry the mushrooms and eggplant until they gain some colour then add the grape tomatoes, olives and capsicum.
- Allow the vegetables to fry for a few minutes and turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan to a medium temperature and grill the oiled side of the bread until lightly charred.
- Arrange the grilled sourdough on the plate and top with vegetable mix, rocket and crumbled goats cheese then drizzle with balsamic glaze.
This recipe featured in the APD Cookbook, created in collaboration with DAA.
Download the full APD Cookbook by visiting the Australia’s Healthy Weight Week website.
Want more tips to feel fabulous? Sign up to our Smart Eating newsletter today!