Minty green quinoa & brown rice salad
Recipe courtesy of Chloe O'Sullivan, APD
250g cooked Quinoa & Brown Rice*
1 cup green peas (+/- snowpeas, green beans, any greens!)
1 medium zucchini halved lengthwise and sliced
1 avocado, diced
100g reduced fat Danish feta crumbled
¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
¼ cup shaved almonds
Spray olive oil
50 mL extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard**
Juice and rind of 1 lemon
Sea salt & cracked black pepper to taste
Nutrition Information (per serve)
|Energy||1732 kJ (414 calories)|
- Heat a dry, small pan on med heat and lightly toast almonds. Remove from pan & set aside.
- In same pan lightly fry zucchini in spray olive oil. Set aside.
- Cook the quinoa and rice in the microwave, as per the portion instructions. Alternatively, this can be cooked from scratch.
- When all components cool, combine quinoa/rice, all green vege, feta and mint leaves (reserving a small amount of feta and mint).
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small jug with a fork then mix into salad.
- Serve with the toasted almonds and an extra sprinkle of mint and feta.
You can mix and match any of the vegetables in this dish, which ever you have in the fridge!
* Although not as cost effective as cooking from scratch, the 90 second microwaveable rice & quinoa packs available at most supermarkets are useful for busy people.
** For those with coeliac disease: be sure to check the label to choose a gluten free mustard.