Vegan Tortilla Soup
Recipe courtesy of Nicole Dynan, APD
3 soft fajitas / tortillas
Olive oil spray
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon chilli powder
2 cups washed + chopped kale (remove stems)
1 red capsicum, chopped (remove stem & seeds)
4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
2 cans diced tomatoes, not drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (or dry black beans soaked overnight)
1 avocado, sliced into wedges
1 cup fresh coriander leaves
1 lime, sliced into 6 wedges
Nutrition Information (per serve)
|Energy||840 kJ (201 calories)|
1. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2. Spray both sides of the tortillas with oil spray and slice into thin strips.
3. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 8-10 minutes, until crisp. Set aside.
4. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil, onions, garlic and chilli powder for 2 minutes. Add kale and capsicum and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
5. Add stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
6. Carefully puree hot soup with a stick blender until smooth.
7. Serving suggestion: top each bowl with 6 baked tortilla strips, 1 -2 tablespoons of black beans, 1 avocado wedge, 1 tablespoon coriander and a squeeze of lime.
For an extra spicy kick, add a fresh chilli of your choice at step 4
Chilli powder can be replaced with 1 tablespoon cumin + 1 teaspoon paprika if it is too hot for the kids.
Replace 2 cups of stock with 2 cups of water for a lower sodium soup