Recipe courtesy of Sara Grafenauer APD
2 carrots, julienned
1 handful red cabbage, finely sliced
3 eschallots finely sliced
1 small garlic clove, finely sliced
100ml rice vinegar
1 tbsp caster sugar
3 fresh limes, juiced
1 cup long-grain rice
2 cups water (for rice)
500g of chicken breast (approx 2 small breasts), poached slowly and shredded
Additional water (to poach chicken)
piece of ginger (sliced)
1 bunch coriander – tops for salad; use the root to flavour poaching water
2 Lebanese cucumbers, quartered lengthways and chopped
100g roasted unsalted cashews, roughly crushed
1 handful mixed lettuce
fish sauce to taste
Nutrition Information (per serve)
|Energy||2049 kJ (490 calories)|
- Combine carrot, cabbage, eschallots and garlic with rice vinegar, caster sugar and juice of 1 lime, allow to stand for at least 20 minutes.
- Place rice and water into a saucepan. Bring to boil and cover for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a second saucepan, cover chicken in water and add sliced ginger, and the off-cut root section of the coriander. Poach chicken until cooked (approximately 15 minutes, cooking time will vary depending on thickness of chicken breast). Shred chicken when cooked.
- Serve rice, adding chicken, then carrot/eschallot mix with some of the liquid, then coriander, cucumber, and cashews.
- Season to taste with fish sauce and more fresh lime juice, and add mixed lettuce.