What can I put in my child’s lunchbox?
What kids have in their lunchbox is super important, as they need premium petrol to fuel their day at school. Be creative and include a wide variety of foods in your child’s lunchbox. Involve kids in the process of shopping for, cooking, and preparing their lunchbox, and they may be more likely to eat and enjoy their food.
Here are some fun and nutritious ideas:
- Pita bread with salad and lean, cold roast meat
- Sandwich squares with:
- Egg and lettuce
- Tomato and cheese
- Cheese, lettuce and cucumber
- Tinned tuna mixed with a mayonnaise and lettuce
- Ricotta or cottage cheese and banana
- Cheese and wholegrain crackers
- Nuts (if allowed in school)
- A tub of yoghurt
- Fresh fruit
- Pikelets or homemade muffins
- Crunchy veggie sticks and tommy tomatoes with hummus or tzatziki dip
- Water is the best drink for children – juice, cordial and soft drink are never appropriate lunch box options.
Also be sure to prepare and store lunch box foods safely – in hot weather pack an ice brick to keep food cool.