How can I get more calcium in my diet?
The best source of calcium comes from dairy products, such as milk, cheese and yoghurt.
The Australian Dietary Guidelines recommend 2.5 – 4 serves of dairy foods a day for most people.
Examples of a serve include:
- 1 cup of milk (250ml)
- A small tub of yoghurt (200g)
- 2 slices of cheese (40g).
Getting enough in may sound difficult, but there are some simple ways to add more in:
- Top your morning muesli with milk and yoghurt
- Include yoghurt or cheese as a snack between meals
- Enjoy a milky latte or cappuccino
- Snack on smoothies made with milk and yoghurt
- Add milk or evaporated milk to soups and pasta sauces
- Add ricotta, goats cheese or fetta to salads
Of course, if you can’t eat dairy because you’re allergic, or you don’t enjoy the taste, you can get calcium from other foods. Things like tofu, green leafy vegetables, almonds, sardines and salmon with bones, and nut milks with added calcium are good alternatives. But for most of us, the easiest way to get enough is from dairy foods.