How can I choose the right weight loss plan for me?
There are endless weight loss programs available, but it is important that you choose a healthy eating plan that is suited to your health and lifestyle. That way, you’re more likely to keep the weight off in the long term, saving you time and keeping you healthy.
Keep in mind that an appropriate weight loss plan should:
- Meet your individual nutritional and health needs
- Suit your individual lifestyle
- Include a wide variety of foods from all food groups
- Promote physical activity
- Focus on realistic life-long changes to eating and exercise habits.
Be careful of fad diets. These often promise fast weight loss without any scientific basis. These diets often cut out entire food groups, so may mean you’re missing out on important nutrients.
Avoid diets that:
- Cut out entire food groups or specific nutritious foods
- Promote fast weight loss without supervision by a dietitian and a doctor
- Focus on short term changes to eating and exercise habits
- Recommend unusual foods or eating patterns
- Encourage miracle pills and potions.