As an Association, we collaborate with our members to advocate and provide a voice for Accredited Practising Dietitians (APDs) and the dietetic profession. We also promote the key role of APDs in helping manage disease and improving the nutritional status and wellbeing of Australians, and campaign to raise the awareness of the importance of nutrition as a key public health concern.
What is advocacy?
The word advocate derives from Medieval Latin, and means to summon or call to one’s aid.
An advocate (noun) is a person or organisation who publicly supports or recommends a particular cause or policy, or who puts forward a case on someone else’s behalf. Advocates can also be known as supporters, champions, protectors, and patrons.
To advocate (verb) is to publicly recommend or support, campaign on behalf of, stand up for, argue for, or vouch for.
Members as key advocates
There is strength in numbers and our members play a central role in our advocacy activities; we could not achieve the influence and recognition we have without their expertise, skills and dedication.
Our members are well-placed to influence change on both a local and wider scale. Many members:
- Join our advisory committees, project groups, and interest groups as a volunteer
- Help us draft submissions, public statements, and media releases
- Contributing their knowledge, experience and skills to our consultations and activities
- Represent our Association on external committees
- Build relationships with other professional and consumer organisations and Government departments
- Work with the media as one of our volunteer Media Spokespeople
- Write editorial, articles, hot topics, and responses to media misinformation for online and paper publications
- Connect with other health professionals in their local area
- Connect with clients and others in their community
If you are a member and would like to get involved, please see:
Also keep an eye on What’s New, and your Weekly Member Update email, for opportunities to contribute to consultations and submissions.
For more about our advocacy activites, please contact our Senior Policy Officer.
For more about our media activities, please contact our Media Officer.